1864 penny a bucket lister

Got a bucket lister today a 1864 penny sadly in very bad condition but at least one off the list

7 Likes

I just watched a video on DIY electrolysis.
You can make one of these easily with stuff around the house for sure.

This coin looks like a candidate for electrolysis :slight_smile:

1 Like

@karl I use electrolysis all the time in the workshop cleaning rusty stuff, works amazingly well but I have not tried anything non-ferrous yet.

1 Like

In the axe forums they use Vinegar or better yet RUST-OLEUM.

1 Like

Hi ratters. I made an electrolysis kit following the video. I used a small 12V 100mA plugpack that really puts out around 17v. I used reo and it makes a lot of bubbles on both terminals. In the US they call it baking soda but here it’s bicarb. A good multimeter pays for itself pretty fast. Cheap multimeters are not worth buying in my opinion.

What I learned from this video is never use table salt for cleaning anything because of the iodine. Old coins in Australia were circulated for a long time and are often smooth. No amount of cleaning will change this. In my opinion smooth coins with no date are just garbage and thats where I send them.

1 Like

Older coins have a fair bit of weight of copper in them, and copper is reasonably valuable. For example 1 and 2 cent pieces contain more copper than their face value (which is why they were withdrawn from circulation).

I put all mine in a bucket for eventually selling as scrap.

1 Like