1890's Field Finds 2

I started a new topic so scrolling down is faster. Found some new fields, a lot of junk, some hot days and some interesting stuff.

My first reins guide and some buckles, bolts and pocket watches.
Coins
1868 shilling (925 silver)
1874 and 1883 pennys
1916 and 1920 Aus pennys
1917,1919 and 1943 Aus half pennys

Mystery items

Not sure what they are. A brass winder, an S-Shaped item with mini door knobs and something with 4 hooks on it. Any ideas welcome?

8 Likes

The S-shaped thingywotsit looks like a hat or cloak hook? Possibly one of several on a wooden stand :man_shrugging:
Always fun trying to interpret items from centuries ago!

2 Likes

My grandfather had a butter churn with a very similar crank handle on it from memory .

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions Drystone and Dave. Close to the mark I recon. A lot of the stuff in the ground is steampunk technology :tophat: :crystal_ball: :bellhop_bell: :manual_wheelchair: :compass: :steam_locomotive:

2 Likes

Some April finds.

I dug another Boer War medallion. Different to the first one, it has ‘Colonel Baden Powell Defender of Mafeking’ on the reverse. Made by Stokes, they are not military medals but commemorative medals I think.
Found a bottle pourer with G.P. Milsom Launceston engraved on it.
A button that looks like a watch winder has a loop on the back.
A small ‘Victor’ lantern Made in USA.
1947 Florin, 1902 and 1907 British pennies.

7 Likes

Some recent finds

Another reigns guide, small lock, something that looks like a gun, 1880s and 1890s English half pennies, 1914 Aus half penny, 1948 Aus penny.

7 Likes

Recent finds. Atlas lock, first open lock I’ve found
1879 half penny
Tasmanian dog tag 1906-1907 (I like finding them)
1919 World War 1 Victory or Peace medallion. These were given to all Australian school children so there are a lot out there. First for me.

7 Likes

EOFY detecting

Long brass horse buckle, clock pendulum weight,
1800’s Salvation Army badge
1862 Brit penny, 1935 Aus penny,

1908 Souvenir with history. It commemorates the ANA or Australian Natives Association.
The ANA was a charitable or friendly society for white males born in Australia. It was founded in 1872 and was popular throughout the goldfields. I’m sure the Native Youth and Native Industry mines were named as a result of the ANA.
The group was pro-Federation and one of the last groups to oppose the White Australia Policy. Rather than accept women they helped setup the AWA or Australian Womens Association. By 1955 they were accepting women and carried-on as a a private health fund, building society and general insurance company.
The souvenir commemorates an ANA Exhibition at Albert Hall Launceston in 1908. It was a gift to the children of Launceston from FW Stewart jewellers Launceston.

5 Likes

The Commonwealth penny and ANA medallion are beauties, but it looks like the Britannia one is 50% off in an EOFY sale! A bit like a couple I got on the beach recently

2 Likes

The Salvo’s badge and the ANA medallion are top of the pops for me . Well done Karl .

4 Likes

Oh how I miss relic hunting, having trouble finding the owners of land, I would just love to wonder over. But I do love to see what others lucky hunters find

Helen

1 Like

Hi Helen, it is hard getting access to private land for a lot of reasons, These are from Crown Land which is mostly open to relic hunters. Some people have definitely taken ownership of nearby public land and refuse access. I think Curt and Dave are luckier than me but it’s also hard work and experience. A lot goes to the tip :slight_smile:
I think everybody agrees about that.

I made a typo above. The ANA was opposed to ending the White Australia Policy. It seems funny now, getting the kids off to a racially-based start in life. :laughing:

3 Likes

Some recent hunts including with other PMAT members. Found an enameled copper pendant and 925 silver ring with stone at different beaches. The usual field finds - silver thimble and the oldest coin is a 1879 penny.

I got lucky with an 1850’s ‘pawnbrokers and general clothiers’ one penny token from William Jarvey. The token has been hit with a center punch maybe to void it. Jarvey was hung in New Zealand and his story is here.

6 Likes

Well done Karl . Silver thimbles don’t come along very often , i have only two from 10 years of detecting . Ripper token find with an interesting story .

1 Like

The ring cleaned up nicely and that token is awesome. Would have been a pretty tough trip from Hobart to the north coast back then but that relic made it !

1 Like

Thanks Curt and Dave. I used electrolysis on the ring and it doesn’t affect the stone. I think electrolysis is mostly for silver and maybe gold. I’ll try it on the thimble and see how it turns out.

Keep on swinging and I hope there is good stuff under the coil :slight_smile: At the moment it’s all doom and gloom out there. My son in Kalgoorlie was recently complaining about being ‘locked-up’ in Western Australia and unable to visit Eastern Australia. It’s only 2.646 million square kilometers. :pick:

3 Likes

My last two detecting sessions.

No coins this time but another Boer War medallion, a silver wedding band found in the mud and relics of an electrified ore tram.

The makers plate is a ‘Garton Metalic Circuit Arrester’ patented in 1892 and used on the earliest electrified tramways as a lightning surge protector. Below it is an 1897 Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee medallion that has been put onto tram tracks. They were found close to each other and near an old tramway line.

5 Likes