1890's Field Finds

My first Diamond Jubilee medallion dated 1897 and a half penny from 1893. The pocket watch with a face is a first for me. I pictured both sides of it. It still has roman numerals. Found more of the linked things on the right. I think they are harness decorations.

7 Likes

Very nice finds Karl . Must be very kind soil as they are in great condition . Couple of excellent fancy buttons . I have found similar linked plates like those of yours on 3 sites and believe they were gilt fancy belts to be worn around a ladies dress . That’s a fine site your on , hope there is more there for you yet .

3 Likes

Thanks Curt. They could be parts of a ladies belt. The site once had an old house. Here is yesterday’s finds.

Found a bezel that fits the old pocket watch. A mystery item at the top, a Simplex 650 pencil sharpener in the middle, a padlock, a 1898 penny and a 1903 Edward V11 half penny.

I’ve been using the Equinox in Field 2, with 2 tones. Its an interesting setting that could work in some locations.

5 Likes

Nice work Karl , that top piece is a real puzzler ! Ripper old pencil sharpener . I like finding old locks like that . The coins look pretty crisp so probably dropped soon after circulation . Gotta be a silver there somewhere .

2 Likes

Went detecting yesterday and found the usual stuff including a button made in Bendigo and a tool like a centre punch etc.

I was heading back when I started finding more of the weird disk belts.

I found 9 disks on the day and added them to my collection. Now I have the 2 end pieces (top left and below). They show how the belts clipped together. I have not been able find a single picture of anyone wearing one of these. They could be Chinese or ladies belts as Curt suggested. I would love to know.

3 Likes

Well done Karl , that tool with the bent end may have been used to scrape out horses hooves . You have found most of that belt now , while i cannot remember where i saw it i have seen an old pic of one of those belts being worn around a ladies waist over a long flowing cotton dress . It looks like yours may have been silver plated . I have found parts of one with some gilt remaining on two sites . I am surprised you have not turned up a silver coin there yet .

1 Like

Thanks Curt. The centre punch is probably for cleaning horses hooves. I did find a horse shoe nearby. A PMAT member sent me a picture of metal ladies belts here:
https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com/articles/gallery/sash-pins-buckles/

I discovered the 1800’s ‘electric belt’ craze while investigating this. It was just snake oil but they were selling belts that were supposed to have miraculous qualities.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-victorian-tool-for-everything-from-hernias-to-sexa-vibrating-electric-belt

2 Likes

Geez, that electric belt sounds like it’s more likely to cause impotence than cure it!

2 Likes

Yep that’s the ladies metal belt .
Ouch !!! that electric noose is scary .

1 Like

There was an almost unlimited market for fake cures in the 1800’s - early 1900’s.
I found a shop selling electric belts in Hobart but I somehow lost the details online.
These belts are definitely out there in Tasmania. Check this out?

Made in Wynyard and advertised in the Zeehan & Dundas Herald 1904.

2 Likes

An afternoon in the paddocks this week.

Finds from 19th and 20th centuries. 30Lb ‘Salter’ brand spring scales, watch winder, 1950’s US made cap gun half (they didn’t want to license the Dick Tracey brand name). Also small lantern parts and decorative arrow head.

4 Likes

I like those scales Karl . Reckon the brass handle to the left of the scales came from an old overhead toilet cistern . Found one of those decorative arrowhead shaped items a Lefroy a few months ago , wonder what the came off ?

2 Likes

Thanks for identifying that Curt. I thought the arrow was on the end of a curtain rod. Coins have been slow for me lately but luckily this is a hobby not a job :pick:

1 Like

HaHa ! There would be mass bankruptcy’s if detecting was a job !

2 Likes

Another day in the fields. Found a whole Climax lock (US made). I previously found half of one.
Matchbox Jaguar Mk10 1967
Part of a 1894 Bridgeport Cyclometer (US made) for measuring mileage on a bicycle.
1908 dog tag. Looks like you could register a dog in the whole of Tasmania.
1887 Brit half penny
1908 Brit penny
1919 Aus penny
1946 Aus half penny.

6 Likes

I’ll post finds here so it they don’t come-up as a new topic and everybody gets an email. Three buckles, a silver pocket watch back that has a name scratched into it, an embossed knife that could be a letter opener. Unfortunately it’s in 2 pieces like the 1900’s dog tag.
1900 Brit penny
1903 Brit penny
1914 Aus half penny

4 Likes

Good finds, the 1903 penny is cool: I like finding King Edward coins as it was a brief reign 1901-1910

2 Likes

Hi Drystone, here are a couple of Edward VII coins. His mother Victoria was queen for a very long time, like Prince Charles :slight_smile:
My last trip was a bit disappointing, just decimal coins and junk but that’s how it goes. Only makes me want to try somewhere else.

4 Likes

A couple of hunts in the fields. Found another 1897 Diamond jubilee medallion without gilt.
Also an assortment of mostly trash but I did find another rising sun badge. A 1915 dog tag to add to my collection :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mate , your on a roll . Good finds again , and , another rising sun ! I have been detecting for 9 years without sighting one yet . Congrats .

2 Likes