A Few Recent Finds

Not sure what this freaky little fellow was.

Victoria half penny that looks like it was struck with a dented die.

This one can’t have been in circulation long.

Even managed a couple of threepences with the SDC.

6 Likes

Nice to find old coins in such good condition. I found this 1900 penny this week.

8 Likes

Here’s some of my recent finds with the Nox 800. They include a Queen Vic shilling - worn almost smooth with no discernable date, a 1910 Ed 7th sixpence fairly toasted condition, an 1898 threepence and a USA Lincoln cent plus other assorted Aussie predecimals and decimal coins.

Cheers, Fox ![20200924_095157|690x388](upload://nUkwJHjIhN9J6JcdRjaQw31pukr.jpeg)
3 Likes

My photo doesn’t seem to have uploaded. Will try again

7 Likes

Good lot of silver there . The Lincoln cent is an unusual find .

1 Like

Nice lot of coins. I ran into a guy out in the bush who knows you and Curt.
He showed me some incredible finds on his mobile.

You have started a guessing game Karl ! And at this stage you have me beat .

1 Like

Was he American? I know a nice yank who detects around this area.

1 Like

Sorry about the guessing game. He’s an Aussie, tall with a white ute. Not a PMAT member. He found a gold box with a blue cameo face on it with human ashes inside. I think it was found in the Lefroy area.

1 Like

White ute with a canopy ? Detects with his daughter . I have forgotten his name . I suggested they join our group . I think that if i made a find like that i would take some photos , then dig a hole deep enough to defeat a P.I. machine and rebury it . While i do not believe in afterlife , karma or anything like that , why tempt fate , and let the poor bugger lie in peace .
It’s bad enough that i found a locket at Lefroy with some newspaper in it and a coil of human hair . I feel a bit funny about that hair that came from somebody that has long passed away .

2 Likes

Looks like you remember him. You had found 1 sovereign when you met him so it more than a year ago.

Yes why tempt fate? I got into the big alluvial tin workings around the foothills of Mt Cameron. Very thick bush and rugged. I drank water from one of the creeks and I recon I got disoriented. Next day we saw Blue Lake and the don’t drink the water signs.
I like getting out into it but who wants to end up on the 6 o’clock news? Luckily I found a track that took me back to where I started.

For anyone thinking about this area I recommend a personal distress beacon, compass (I think mobile phone compasses need a connection) and carry your own water. Then watch out for tiger snakes who are waking-up about now.

3 Likes

Spent a few hours today going over ground I had already worked several times, with the following results: 1c and 2c coins, a 1956 1d, 1928 3d, 1947 3d, 1948 1/- and a very corroded Q Vic veiled head 1895 - 1901 penny ( no date ).

4 Likes

Was the ground wetter than the previous times you hunted it Howard ? Makes a big difference with vlf . The Nox with it’s multi freq also has a habit of finding stuff left behind by earlier machines .

1 Like

Hi Curt, the ground has been a fair bit wetter since the last time I detected that area. A few days ago we had 38mm of rain here. I ended the day with a pocket full of aluminium pull tabs and ring pulls plus screw caps and copper wire but I was pretty happy with my coin haul for the day.

1 Like

Good stuff Howard . If your digging those targets gold jewelry and gold coins are a possibility . I keep all brass , copper and lead to sell to Sims . It’s amazing how the $ pile up ! See you Saturday , with a raincoat it seems .

1 Like

I managed to find this silver broach in a local park that I’ve been over plenty of times before. This time I tried the 4kHz mode and it seems to cut out a lot of the chatter from mowed up cans that this spot is full of.

7 Likes

Rippa find Dave ! Congrats .

Was pretty happy to find a complete powder flask last week.
And a dog tag that’s a hundred years older than the ones I’ve found on the beach.

6 Likes

Well done getting a powder flask Dave , they don’t turn up to often . No sign of the top for it ? Nice old dog tag too .

3 Likes

I found another half flask the other day. I previously found a top piece. It opens the flask for loading powder into a gun. A little trigger slides a small cover to open it. There are spring loaded designs as well.

4 Likes