Can anyone identify this?

Found this little pulley thingy near an old gold mine today. Anyone got any idea what it is?

1 Like

Looks like a old tap from a bar keg

G’day mate, looks like the same shape as a keg tap but it’s not hollow and it’s got 2 little pulleys in it. Closest things I’ve found online are pulleys for sash windows or chandeliers. Maybe it was repurposed to lower the smoko and billy down to the miners?

Is it a window sash pulley?

I reckon it might be, most of the industrial pulleys from that time seem to be cast iron so I think it was something from a house. We used to use the sash weights as ballast in commercial Cray pots.

Just a thought a pully on a smaller scale mine to move buckets of ore up to the surface being brass would likely date from the late 1800s

2 Likes

Found this button? last week up at lefroy. Almost looks like it was made from a coin but not sure. It’s also mis struck by the looks of it.

2 Likes

The head side looks like a Queen Victoria ‘young head’ - same as a penny or half penny.
possibly same size as one of them.
The Britannia side is a mystery.
Probably only a numismatics expert could identify it.

1 Like

Yeah, was about the size of a 2c piece. Thought it was a farthing at first, got the same milled edge as a coin too. Maybe just a coin copy button.

1 Like

thinking it might of been made by stokes in melbourne, also made tokens etc the milling on the side is unusual but cant find any coins with that reverse design

1 Like

Button for mine , and a very cool one at that . Just another thing on my bucket list to find ! I wonder if it’s a Jubilee button along the line of Howard’s find . His was a 50 year one but yours could be 60 ? Ripper find Dave .

1 Like

I can’t find anything like it either. Looks like it was struck with a coin die but the obverse is completely different from any colonial coin I can find. Who knows what sort of collectibles were made by mints and jewelers back then.

1 Like