My Biggest nugget

Ok sadly not Gold but found this native copper nugget about 10 years ago on the hills near Gormanston weighs in at 276 grams anyone seen much native copper from that area. I cleaned it then it re-patinated why the unusual colour

4 Likes

Nice!

I haven’t seen any native copper nuggets in the past, so I can’t comment on the colour.

1 Like

isn’t copper oxide green ?

1 Like

Yes, I think most copper minerals are either green or blue.

1 Like

it is a green i cleaned it and then left it in the shed so it started to reoxidise

2 Likes

Indi, I used to live in Gormanston and worked at Mt Lyell. Native copper was found frequently in the underground mine at North Lyell and the Iron Blow above Gormanston. I’m sure that given permission to access the mine lease there would be much more to be found.
EmptyTin

5 Likes

thanks this was found just above of the town

1 Like

I believe there may be small amounts of gold to be found in the creeks there too.

1 Like

In the shape of Australia. beautiful find !

1 Like

My new biggest nugget… from a gully in the east.

Actually life threatening to dig any more for the moment where this came from!

14 Likes

Thats a nice one for Tasmania. Must have paid for the fuel and the detector :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome Warren a really nice looking nugget, life threatening ? I’m booking for Tibooburra soon.

2 Likes

Really life threatening! My phone managed to dispose of many new contacts. Can you give me a call, or send me an sms please.

Hi Warren. What a great find, beautiful nugget