Odd medallion by the river

Found this in a riverside reserve. Never heard of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes but apparently it’s an old boys club started in England in the 1820s.

5 Likes

Yes my dad was in the Buffs it’s a worldwide organisation.

3 Likes

That’s cool, I see they have quite a few gold medallions too on google. Be nice to find one of those!

Nice find. ‘Secret society’ medallions are prized in the US. ‘Antediluvian’ is before the ‘Great Flood’. :grinning:

2 Likes

Found some relics a few days ago. Queen Victoria Golden Jubilee (1837-1887) pocket watch backplate.
Not sure what the other 2 items are. Possibly leather ornaments or Chinese.

6 Likes

That Victoria watch looks very interesting. They had some interesting stuff celebrating royalty. No idea what the other 2 gilt things are but looks like they were linked together in some kind of chain, would have been pretty fancy.

1 Like

Some more relics, no coins yet at this site. I was surprised to dig an Egyptian head at a bush alluvial gold camp site. It’s about the size of a 10c coin and may have sewn on to fabric. Also a Hohner mouth organ top from the 1880’s. The large brass candle stick holder was in a bottle dump.

5 Likes

Found this Victoria diamond jubilee medallion a couple of weeks ago. Took lots of soaking and hours with a toothpick but I managed to get it fairly clean without scrubbing off the gilding.

2 Likes

Gday Karl , don’t know how i missed your posts , but wow i love some of those finds . You are onto a very good spot . Have never seen anything like that back plate on any forum and some very nice glass work too . Congrats .

Nice one Dave , don’t see many with that amount of gilt left .

A nice one for the collection Dave. There must be bronze in those medallions :slight_smile:

I found this very solid looking ‘finial’. Thought it was a bedpost but it could be for a walking stick. It has 8 sides around the top. Also the internals of a pocketwatch.

2 Likes

Yep, gilt bronze, that’s why the TID was so high. I reckon that must be a bedknob, looks too uncomfortable as a walking stick with the knob on the top. And I added finial to my vocabulary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Managed to find a third Victoria diamond jubilee medallion within a stones throw of the others this week. This one’s a bit different and looks like it’s made specifically for Launceston schoolkids.
Also a little brooch and a few lead seals from an old railway station. Thinking that the seals would have been for the mailbag and cut off when it arrived on the train.

3 Likes

Those seals are awesome! Great find!

Well done Dave . The medallion is in reasonable nick , have not found one of those myself so a little bit green ! Is that a fancy button in the second photo ! Looks good . Love those bag seals , all the ones i have found are pretty munted , cannot read them like those beauty’s .

1 Like

Nice finds Dave. I was out the other day and couldn’t believe how many different types of fungi I saw. Something I’ve noticed - things like that medallion were held on by a thin cord or small chain. No wonder it broke and left it in the ground for so long?
Same as the Rising Sun badges. Nothing left at all of what pinned them to hats.

1 Like

Not exactly sure what the button /brooch is. This is the back. Any ideas?

And from what I read the medallions were given out to school children and we all know how good kids are at losing stuff eh! I remember my dad telling me that I’d lose my own head if it wasn’t so we’ll attached to my neck!

2 Likes