Reef nuggets in Tasmania?

Has anyone found reef gold with a metal detector in Tassie?

Over in Victoria I’ve found a few pieces over reefs where there was no sign of alluvial transport of material, in shallow ground, but in Tasmania, even in places that have a high abundance of reefs (like Lefroy and Mathinna) I’ve never had any luck.

The closest I’ve come are hardly-waterworn nuggets from small leads in Lefroy and Back Creek, like this:

6 Likes

I should probably link to this other post of a nugget I found near Lefroy: Recent burn at Lefroy

It was almost right above a reef without much evidence of transport. I’ll give it a clean and post a better picture when I have a chance.

2 Likes

I found this really small piece down the west coast it’s reefy but doesn’t weigh anything

5 Likes

rps20200302_203253
Couple of little bits that came from the gully below a big hole in the ground that used to be a reef.
Oops bad photo.

5 Likes

Got a few bits that haven’t traveled far

6 Likes

Really pretty specimens! Well done :+1:

My favourite one from a couple years back, 1.5g crystal

7 Likes

Really nice, that’s a keeper for the collection

1 Like

A few little mullock heap kinder surprises. They didn’t miss much back in the day.

5 Likes

Nice find , thankfully they left a little bit well done

3 Likes

Very nice specimen , quartz always gives more character.

The smallest bit I’ve found with the equinox and 6 " coil. From a mini patch found with the SDC. Found that the vlf machine is not great for prospecting new areas but will find small gold that PI machines miss.rps20200915_211102

5 Likes

very nice bit there dhawley

I should probably include this one here: it’s not at all waterworn and was found directly over one of the lines of reef, in alluvial/eluvial diggings. It’s from this thread.

6 Likes

a piece of found several months back with a great help of a fellow forum member so grateful for all his help

8 Likes

Two gold crystals, 1.53gm and 0.55 gm plus two specimens found in 1870’s era mullock heaps at Back Creek.

9 Likes

Very nice Howard ! P.i. or the Nox ?

Hi Curt, they were found with my old GPX 5000 and the SDC 2300 between 2014 and 2019.

2 Likes

Wow, some beautiful bits there. Should get everyone fired up for the field trip!

2 Likes

A couple more fluffy little reefy bits found with my equinox recently.

7 Likes