Saturday morning dig

2 hrs well spent detecting with the wife (and friendly mob of cattle) at old house site

6 Likes

Always a great day with a threepence :grin:

2 Likes

really love the part of the cricket buckle well done

2 Likes

Nice day out. What’s the blue thing with the flowers? Looks like a cricket buckle in well above average condition too👍

2 Likes

Cheers, the blue thing is a sterling silver brooch with blue enamel-like front, would have had 4 roses originally, 2 are missing.
Detective work with the hallmarks show it was made by J Aitken & son, Birmingham in 1916.
Cool hey!

2 Likes

A very good hunt ! Ripper of a cricket buckle takes the cake for me . I would be revisiting that spot a few more times . I just had a look through the online Victorian era cricket buckles book and it appears you have found a new design which is quite an achievement as there are 849 listed so far . The author has been gathering all these designs from around the world for a few years and appreciates any new contributions . I can post up a link to him , or pm a couple of good photos to me and i can forward them to him . Congrats , cricket buckles don’t come easy these days .

2 Likes

Thanks Curt,
We were quite chuffed to find it (our 1st!), I Have been in touch with the “Buckle Book” man (Brian) and yes, it was a new design to him, he thought it dated @ 1870.
Will be going back as didn’t get time to cover site fully and will detect in different direction also.
Hope to see you at AGM,
cheers
Andrew G

2 Likes

Great work Andrew , the buckle book is an amazing resource provided free to all by Brian . It must have taken untold hours to get it all together . I am proud to have several in there and now another Tassie hunter will have too . Sorry i don’t think my wife’s work will allow me to attend the AGM .

2 Likes

Top left hand corner - is that a lamp stand or something else?

hi Karl,
Not entirely sure what it is: looks automotive or machinery related: kinda resembles a radiator cap but with a threaded centre spindle.
Looks either chrome or silver plated over copper, has Made in England written on top.
Just one of many curios one finds with this hobby!

1 Like