Some Random Relics

Have not been doing much detecting this year , and when i have it’s been hard going . So for those that like a few relics here are some bit’s from the last few weeks . Good hunting all .

A nice buckle , brooch and Vesta case from a vacant block in Bridport .

A 1721 Portuguese 3 Reis coin found by my uncle on the same block .

Some silvers from the foreshore .

A few bit’s from Lefroy [ hard going there now ]

Ripper Freemasons cuff link with mechanism still working .

5 Likes

Some nice objects there Kurt. Went out today and the ground was amazingly soft. I must have dug hundreds of signals.
You wouldn’t expect a Portuguese coin in Bridport but the Post Office was first built in 1882. Maybe you’ll find pirate treasure one of these days?

2 Likes

Yeh Karl the ground is great digging and there’s more rain coming . Hope you found some treasures . The block was probably in use about 1870-1880 but has a massive overlay of modern junk and has been top dressed as well which makes the older stuff hard to find . I reckon the coin was probably a memento from the old country .

1 Like

Hey Curt, the diamond shaped buckle - is it a silver-nickel alloy or something else? Nice to see some silver as well :+1:

1 Like

Hi Karl , it’s brass with a silver coloured coating , possibly nickel . Silvers are always welcome !

Had a good day Tuesday on the goldfields with a few coins and buckles .

4 Likes

Couple of nice finds there :+1: What’s the big buckle with the cross in the middle?

2 Likes

Thanks Dave it’s not to easy now with the bush as thick as it is . Not to sure about the buckle . At first i was thinking along the lines of a military medical unit , but after info from Brian of cricket buckle book fame i am now leaning towards a royal visit , probably in 1881 .

2 Likes

The round buckle is an excellent find. Coins from different centuries make it more interesting and the Diamond Jubilee medals are always good to rescue from the dirt. Make the most of the damp ground and no snakes :snake:

3 Likes

Found a nice cricket buckle during the week . Was bent in half so had to anneal and straighten it . Sadly missing the centre piece but still welcome in my finds bag .

3 Likes

Awsome work got to love a buckle any day of the week :sunglasses::ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Had a few good hunts lately .

A welcome 1843 Groat.

A very nice cricket buckle .

Even the Chinese have shown up !

7 Likes

That last cricket buckle looks like it was lost yesterday. Nice finds and a good location :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a groat before.

1 Like

Thanks Miguel , good to see you managed to get back ok . Hope you really enjoyed your trip and can manage to get back into the work routine .

Another buckle from a Chinese site , and missing the centre piece again .

Also a nice complete locket , nothing inside though .

6 Likes

G’day Curt. My last few hunts have been a bit sparse as well. I’m yet to find a Chinese coin but I did see a big fat tiger snake yesterday when it was around 15 degrees. He was asleep in the sun. They look very well fed this year :frowning:

3 Likes

Yep plenty of wriggly sticks about up here for a few weeks now . 99.9% of them are ok but but there is a fraction that are plain nasty and rattle my concentration .

2 Likes

A small cricket buckle and a very fine Shilling .

Australian Commonwealth Horse badge from the second Boer War only issued in 1902 .

5 Likes

One for the brains trust:
Does anyone know what type of tap this is?
Seems fairly old, has
“J. Glove’s
Birmingham”
marked on it
Internet has this far proved unhelpful.
Cheers

2 Likes

Should be the centre from a barrel tap like this . Now you need to to find the rest of it .!!

4 Likes