Field Trip to Back Creek 3 October 2020

Hi everyone,

We had been due to hold a field trip at @rgprospecting’s lease in Back Creek in April, which had to be postponed due to COVID. Since the situation is still a bit uncertain, and things could change, please RSVP here, or by email to info@pmat.org.au or phone/txt 0400.174.956 so we can get back to you if we need to cancel.

We’ve now re-scheduled the trip for early October, I hope to see many of you there!

Ron Gregory has kindly offered to host us again for a field trip at his Back Creek gold lease on Saturday the 3rd of October 2020. We will have a short General Meeting at 9:00, followed by a day of fossicking. The trip is free for members, and if you’re interested in joining up, you can do so on the day.

We will be having a raffle and activities similar to June of last year. We will have buckets of wash guaranteed to have gold, and Andrew will have his digger, so you if you’d like a bigger load for a highbanker, you can talk to him on the day.

Back Creek contains shallow historical workings and is a good location for detecting small nuggets, and a few nuggets and specimens have been found in recent times, up to close to an ounce. PMAT has been there a few times, and every times people have detected gold. There is also a large pond for panning, or in case you want to bring your highbanker.

The main meeting place will be the historic shacks on Ringswandls Road (off Back Creek Rd).

The area has a lot of historical mining works, including open-cuts, pits, trenches and shafts. If you’ll be joining us. Please be aware of where you step and understand that you enter at your own risk.

Getting there

Most of you probably know how to get to the lease. For those of you who don’t, the lease is on Back Creek Road, which starts behind the Pipers River shop (on Bridport Road). We will meet at the area of 1930s shacks on Ringsgwandls Rd (click on the link for a Google Maps image to help you get there).

In the map above, this is where the road crosses a creek marked ‘Spring Creek’, just to the NW of a pond.

Camping

Ron has invited members who want to to camp at the lease on Friday and Saturday nights. A couple of things to keep in mind:

• There is no potable water on site, please bring your own
  • There will be a toilet available on site

Rules

As we’ll be working inside a current mining lease, there are some conditions to attending, please read these carefully:

• Please RSVP for this trip so we can get in touch if we have to cancel.
  • All attendees will need to fill in a sign-in sheet on arrival, and sign out at the end of the trip.
  • Any gold found is to be shown to Ron. There are two main reasons for this: he does not have to pay royalties on gold that he does not produce himself, and the main thing he gets for his hospitality is to find out where gold may be shedding in the lease. If you find some gold, please do the right thing and show Ron.
  • The area contains abundant mining heritage. Please be respectful of this and of any lease property.
  • Any areas of current workings are off-limits.
  • There will be processes to follow to disinfect any shared surfaces after each use. We’ll go over them on the day, please make sure you follow them.

See you all there!!!

320px-Eureka_Flag.svg_

7 Likes

Hi , I would like to attend and become a member of PMAT

1 Like

Hi @Roger,

No worries, just turn up on the day, meet everyone and join up. Look forward to meeting you!

2 Likes

I’m in cant wait just sent email to confirm

Hi Miguel
Add me to the list please.

1 Like

A BIG yes from me Miguel, can’t wait.

1 Like

Yep count me in thanks .

1 Like

I will be attending as well, with bells on!

1 Like

Forking working. Have fun people, hope you find a big one!

1 Like

Do you reckon I could get a takeaway bucket of dirt…Warren, nudge nudge, wink wink. No panning it out pre delivery!

2 Likes

Hi guys
like to put our names down thanks looks like a great day be two of us and can 2wd get there ok?

1 Like

forgot to say i also need to join up as well

1 Like

Thanks @Indi, look forward to seeing you there. You’re more than welcome to join on the day.

3 Likes

@Indi yes a 2wd can get in fine, there are bumps and pot holes along the road but nothing challenging.

3 Likes

Hi Miguel
Add me to the list please.

1 Like

Hi all, count me in for the next trip, looking forward to catching up, Jamie Harris

3 Likes

looking foward to it, good to catch up.

1 Like

Can we find out how much the pay bucks will cost and how much the scoops will cost? and would we need to book buckets? for the field trip.

2 Likes

I managed to get the day off Saturday so I’ll be there for the day only.

2 Likes

Extremely keen to make it to this and have a go and hopefully learn plenty of new stuff from anyone willing to help a newbie. How much will the membership cost on the day?

1 Like