Detecting at LEFROY

As I’m new to all that is detecting… would someone please advise me on “ LEFROY”…
I’m only about 40 minutes away from there and after hearing some good things about it I would love to have a try myself :thinking:

1 Like

Gday mate, been hit hard around there lately but good stuff can still be found if you are willing to do a bit of bushbashing and research. Was a very rich area with a lot of residents but the gold rush died out fairly quickly.

1 Like

Thanks dhawley… I have no idea as to where to start looking…any suggestions please…do I need a prospecting license ( I have one)…
and do I need permission from anyone on site??

1 Like

No permission is needed for relic detecting in state forrest and on crown land as long as it’s not a declared historical site. You can find most of this on LISTMAP Tasmania. You can also add a layer called mineral occurrences which will show you where the old mines were. If you want to send me your number or email by private message I could show you around some of the areas, but be aware that we have detected them pretty heavily already. The only way to find virgin areas is research and legwork.

1 Like

Also just a caution: be looking for open shafts, DON’T detect backwards, let someone know where you’re going and time you expect to be back
cheers

1 Like

Great advice Drystone… cheers :+1:

1 Like

I’d keep away from Lefroy. Strange people and a lot of deep holes.

Actually a lot of us love the place. Don’t get bogged this time of year going down a hill doesn’t mean you will get back up.
As Dave said LISTMap can help and I recommend going to ‘Add layer’ > Primary Industries > Mining > Mineral Occurences and click the green plus sign. You should be able to figure it out from there.

MineralOccurences

3 Likes

More great advice from you guys…awesome :+1::pray:

Gday DJ . dhawley is spot on , he is also a great guide as he put me onto a gold Sovereign last year !!! Seriously though , if you are after relics or gold the place has been hit over and over , which does not mean you wont find anything but that you will have to work hard and not expect too much . There are many dangerous holes , always turn around , dont take backward steps . Good luck , nobody gets it all .

1 Like