In The Charcoal At Lefroy

percussion was after flintlock basically 1830-60s but been suggested its a cap gun

1 Like

I remember them as a kid. The roll of caps would fit on the post and thread around feeding below the hammer. The neighbors must of hated them :fireworks:

2 Likes

Funky little silver pocket watch chain. Be nice to get a bit of rain because the ground up there is like one big brick! Off to the beach to see what the tourists have dropped till then.

4 Likes

Nice ! Looks oriental

1 Like

Thanks, there were lots of Chinese in the area during the gold rush and that would explain why there’s no hallmarks on it.

2 Likes

That’s an outstanding find Dave ! Worth doing some research , if it’s Chinese then it beats the hell out of finding the usual crusty coins . Congrats .

1 Like

Looks like a fairly common design for Victorian Era pocket watch chains. Still might be able restore it to something like it used to be.

2 Likes

Maybe a common design Dave , but certainly not a common find ! Haab jewelers in Lonnie have done resto work for me , and at reasonable prices .

1 Like

Some more coins on Wednesday along with rain , strong wind and falling branches ! A nice early Groat made my day .

3 Likes

Niiiice! A groat is still on my bucket list. Hopefully we get enough rain to soften the ground up a bit cos my poor old elbows give out after half a dozen holes at the moment.

2 Likes

Nice silver curt. Even the penny is in good condition, much better than anything found in a farm field. Good to see you are still on the money :grinning:

2 Likes

Some of my finds from the charred ground at Lefroy.

4 Likes

Some of my more interesting recent finds at Lefroy.Large button has Tasmanian defence force inscribed, copper nails were used for sluice boxes as they didn’t rust, teaspoon is solid silver and item lower right I believe to be end off a ramrod from a muzzle loading gun - thanks Curt.

5 Likes

Some beauty’s there Howard . That Florin is a late one for Lefroy . The Tas Defence force was a militia force based in Launceston and Hobart , from what i have read they were in operation from 1870 to the 1880’s . A very cool button to find . The jeweler from Launceston on that pocket watch top is a new one to me . And the coin beside it , is it a Farthing ? I have never found one , they are like Rising sun badges for me ! The small silver coin looks unusual , would like to see some close up shots of both sides .

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Curt. I was stoked to find the Tas Defence Force button 6 inches down on an old house site. The farthing was my first in 43 years of detecting. The date is almost unreadable but at a certain angle in the right light appears to be possibly 1876. The small " coin " is actually a brass button celebrating Queen Victoria’s 50th jubilee in 1887. The head and lettering are incuse.
Cheers, Howard.

4 Likes

Great work getting the Farthing . 43 years eh ! That Jubilee button is a special find . Congrats .

2 Likes

Still managing to winkle to odd find out of the charcoal , takes some hours though !

The George 111 Shilling is worn very thin .

2 Likes

Good to see there’s a few interesting bits and pieces still out there. Is that a lead seal in the middle?

1 Like

Yeah mate , says half lb in the middle , cannot read the small print around the outside . Have found 3 or 4 of these in the last year , the others were all 4 lb . I wonder if mines bagged high grade ore , stencilled it and sent it to a stamper ? Still working specimen hill , some big fresh snake skins there too .

some big fresh snake skins there too .

I recon these would give you some peace of mind.