Prospecting and Metal Detecting During The Lockdown

Hi Curt, I’ve realized some videos from the US I watch are made by a guy called ‘Kurt’.
The Hoover Boys

He’s getting 1,000 views an hour but still has a job? I think they get paid by detector manufacturers as well.

1 Like

Have watched some of their vids Karl . They carry on a bit too much for my taste . Sponsored by Garret , how much more would they find with a Nox ? Have been watching a lot of M’ding in European war sites , Russian war diggers etc. Hope you have found enough to keep you occupied . If i was you i would be working every centimeter of that big block of yours .

1 Like

Those European war sites always worry me. A lot of old munitions still in the ground.
Here’s a couple of US channels using Equinoxes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN_VreKXjNMaAlE247QTHxw/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/88205saleen/videos

The novelty of the lockdown is really starting to wear off. Found painting the house will take 2 coats and I’ve caught up with working on the ute. I recon I’ll go detecting at the bottom of the block. Actually, riding around on unregistered trail bikes is an ‘essentially activity’ around here :motorcycle: :motorcycle:

3 Likes

Hope you find a few big nuggets. The only ones in my yard have been left by the dogs! Nothing like the serenity of 2stroke dirt bikes tearing up the neighborhood eh!

3 Likes

Without meaning disrespect to the people who are actually suffering through this time, I am actually enjoying the extra time at home. My DIY projects and yard work have never been going so well.

I was outside using the grinder last week and when I switched it off I noticed I could hear 5 other different people using power tools, plus the usual lawn mowers etc, it was a real chorus!

5 Likes

Yep ! Jobs around the house that have been talked about for a long time are all getting done now . I hate painting but have managed to get through 12 litres in the last couple of weeks ! Built a new fence , and my workshop has never been so tidy . Had to put out 2 wheely bins for collection this morning as i throw out much of the stuff i thought i might use " one day " . You can hear plenty of pruning action here too . Still busting to get back in the bush though !

3 Likes

Good news is that Tassie has dung beetles. Not sure if they were introduced but they neatly dispose of wallaby crap after a week or so. They are not fast workers LoL.

Hi ratters and curt. I had stopped noticing all the jobs that were waiting for a rainy day. Now that day is here with no interruptions.

Funny metal detecting on your own block - you can do some weeding at the same time Ha,ha.

2 Likes

I wish I could detect my back yard but there was a house there which burned down in the '67 fire and so I have this black layer about 1 foot down which is totally filled with rusty nails, melted glass and generally full of rubbish. I cant even put the coil on the ground anywhere in the yard, it goes off immediately blanking out with iron signals.

2 Likes

Ratters , are you using a PI or VLF ? The Equinox can find non ferrous targets in heavy iron but it takes patience and settings . I discriminate out from 1 to 16 and then 34 to 40 , run the Fe 2 at 6 then with careful coil control listen for repeatable high tones . Can be very noisy and tiring but it can work . Some ferrous will always be dug though , just part of the game we play .

3 Likes

Its an X-terra 705 so VLF, and the discrimination works very well but I guess I just don’t have the patience. Because the vast majority of the targets are trash. Think countless little drops of melted lead flashing and aluminium, and the galavanised metals etc. And millions of rusty nails which overload the machine due to the sheer volume. One would assume in a house fire there are bound to be valuables but I don’t think I’m willing to find out! There isn’t even anywhere ‘quiet’ I can put the coil on the ground that’s how bad it is.

2 Likes

That’s a pity , no doubt there would be something there but maybe a sieve would be more efficient ! A couple of sites i have detected where there has been very hot house fires were a nightmare of droplets of brass . Every one sounds great . Some of the silver coins were melted together . Ya gotta be keen !

The debris from house fires around here have been completely removed because they usually find asbestos. Don’t know where they take it. I know of one that had the owners coin collection in it.

I’ve got a 6" coil for an old x-terra but it’s probably too hard to find anything. The surrounding area may have some relics. Also any old houses had a bottle dump because there was nothing else to do with them. They tended to throw them into the nearest gully.

Digging up your backyard with a bobcat is not usually appreciated by your wife, unless your doing some landscaping or putting in a pool. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Curt and Dave for suggesting I detect on the 3 acre block here. I went out a few weeks ago and only bullets and junk. There were signals in the ground in one area so checked it again yesterday.

I was using the nox in park1, sweep speed 6, sensitivity around 23. I actually dug another rising sun badge. Could not believe it. Later I dug a 1947 half penny cut in half. Surely they weren’t using it as change? It was definitely in half when it came out. You never know :wink:
I put the first rising sun at the top that I dug before the lockdown.

4 Likes

Ripper Karl , you are far in front of me . Congrats ! Rising suns are the great white whale for me , 9 years detecting without sighting one . I would have put good money on there being a few finds on your block . With the labour of digging air shafts and the very large rush population of Beacy in it’s heyday i am sure you will make an older find or two . I have not turned on a detector for many weeks , reckon i will have lost match fitness .

2 Likes

Very nice! Knew that something good would turn up but wasn’t expecting that.

1 Like

It looks like some of the restrictions will start to be eased-off from Monday May11.
“National parks and reserves will be open to residents for exercise within 30kms of their home”.
From the following Monday May18 more things are open for 10 people or less.

I laughed when you said you are losing match fitness Curt. I don’t read about the symptoms of this bloody disease because I always feel worse.
Dave, I’m jealous of guys going to work these days. At least they are getting out a bit.

2 Likes

So, I’m thinking that if we can travel up to 30km to go bushwalking in a national park from today, surely we’re also allowed to go panning or detecting in the same 30k radius. As long as we comply with social distancing rules I reckon we should be good to go.

1 Like

Yep that’s what i reckon Dave . Up to 30km for exercise . What,s more exercise than getting up and down about a 100 times , digging holes and bashing bush . I was like a caged tiger so today i was gone quick smart . Nice and close at Golconda for 7.45 swinging the tecta , dug heaps of junk , but oh boy it was good to be out ! Reckon i will be sore tomorrow though , can hardly walk already .

3 Likes

Yeah, baby! Managed to get a panning session, some gold detecting and a relic hunt in today
! And all successful to one degree or another. Hopefully these restrictions have done their job and we are allowed to get out and about wherever we want soon.

4 Likes

Yeah, recon it’s time to wrap-up this topic. If all goes well we will be able to ‘get out and about wherever we want’.
Thanks to the PMAT forum we have had the chance to chill-out and share ideas during this ‘lost Autumn’ in beautiful Tassie :hammer_and_pick: :pick: :crystal_ball:

2 Likes