1890's Field Finds

First hole of the day was an 1897 Jubilee medallion. It has ‘Zeehan West Coast Tasmania’ on the face. Only 1200-1500 ever made.

Also British general service button by Player Bros Birmingham, 1915 Aus penny, silver tea spoon, ceramic dolls leg, decorative buckle, pocket watch back and 2 ring fired bullet.

6 Likes

Excellent finds Karl . The Zeehan Jubilee medallion is a beauty . Your on a good site mate .

2 Likes

Thanks Curt it’s one of my nicest finds. I didn’t make it to Weldborough last weekend for a number of reasons but good to see some of you found gemstones.

I’ve been out on a few hunts and found a 1900 Boer war medal. I didn’t know it was originally called the ‘British Transvaal War’ This one is made by Stokes and has Field Marshal Lord Roberts VC on the other side.
Also found some strange clay pots in a hole with metal trash and a heavy lead weight with nail.
A decorated brass pulley wheel - what was that for?

I’ve found old coins seem to have a corroded obverse or heads side. Am I imagining it or does it happen?

5 Likes

Your doing really well there Karl . Keep it up mate , a gold coin is just around the corner ! Your Transvaal War medallion is only the second one i have ever seen on any forum , the other one was found by me on our farm ! I took it to QMAG museum when i donated the first world war fob medallion and they were very interested . They could find no record of said medallion so i think you have a fairly rare piece there . No idea about the brass wheel . Keep up the great work . Curt .

2 Likes

Brass wheel of sewing machine. ??

2 Likes

That medal is an awesome find! No idea what the wheel could have been from but the little clay things are assaying crucibles for testing small gold ore samples.

3 Likes

Glad you also found a Boer War medal Curt. I wonder who finds the next one?

Nigel. The sewing machines I looked at had solid flywheels. I think this is a pulley for raising and lowering a lamp.

Dave, I’m sure your right these would be assaying crucibles. They give a weak non-ferrous blip on the equinox. Found the 1885 penny not far away.

Happy hunting :pick: :pick:

2 Likes

2021 - a good year for detecting?

An unwelcome live .303. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it :frowning:
A woman’s buckle with a butterfly design, a wooden ruler hinge.
1872 Brit shilling
1873 Brit penny thats showing it’s age
1902 Brit penny
1906 Brit sixpence
1913 Aus half penny
1927 " " "
1942 Aus penny
A mystery item

5 Likes

Your still doing well there Karl . If your worried about ammo it can be dropped into a gun dealer who will dispose of it , or a police station . Some good coinage there . Your mystery item is the measuring spout from a shot dispenser , to be used with a muzzle loader . A long spring loaded lever pivoted from that raised hinge . On the lever were two hinged gates that were inserted in the slots of your item . The front gate could be moved to fit in either of the two slots at front . This gave either 32 gram or 36 gram shot loads depending on position . Now you need to find the powder flask !

4 Likes

That’s a great start to the year Karl :+1:
Some nice old finds.
Kurt as always a font of knowledge: I learn something nearly every post!
Happy hunting all :grin:

2 Likes

Your right there. A lot of muzzle-loading relics are found by detectors. It probably took as long to load one as it does to get the gun and ammo out of a safe today.

4 Likes

Really enjoying the detecting this year.

Another gunpowder flask, ruler hinge and gunpowder measuring spout. Oldest coin is an 1884 threepence. Also a 1911 half penny which was the first mint year.

A TAA Junior Flyers Club badge made by Stokes. Older readers will remember Australian airline TAA .
Also a woman’s brooch with a basket of flowers and ‘Florrie’ made by Stewarts Jewellers Launceston.
The item is not sterling but could be a nickel alloy. It had a copper pin and is in good condition.

8 Likes

Well done Karl . You got the flask ! Those TAA badges are quite collectible . The Florrie brooch is a ripper . It’s no wonder you are enjoying this year !

2 Likes