1890's Field Finds

My first Diamond Jubilee medallion dated 1897 and a half penny from 1893. The pocket watch with a face is a first for me. I pictured both sides of it. It still has roman numerals. Found more of the linked things on the right. I think they are harness decorations.

7 Likes

Very nice finds Karl . Must be very kind soil as they are in great condition . Couple of excellent fancy buttons . I have found similar linked plates like those of yours on 3 sites and believe they were gilt fancy belts to be worn around a ladies dress . That’s a fine site your on , hope there is more there for you yet .

3 Likes

Thanks Curt. They could be parts of a ladies belt. The site once had an old house. Here is yesterday’s finds.

Found a bezel that fits the old pocket watch. A mystery item at the top, a Simplex 650 pencil sharpener in the middle, a padlock, a 1898 penny and a 1903 Edward V11 half penny.

I’ve been using the Equinox in Field 2, with 2 tones. Its an interesting setting that could work in some locations.

5 Likes

Nice work Karl , that top piece is a real puzzler ! Ripper old pencil sharpener . I like finding old locks like that . The coins look pretty crisp so probably dropped soon after circulation . Gotta be a silver there somewhere .

1 Like

Went detecting yesterday and found the usual stuff including a button made in Bendigo and a tool like a centre punch etc.

I was heading back when I started finding more of the weird disk belts.

I found 9 disks on the day and added them to my collection. Now I have the 2 end pieces (top left and below). They show how the belts clipped together. I have not been able find a single picture of anyone wearing one of these. They could be Chinese or ladies belts as Curt suggested. I would love to know.

3 Likes

Well done Karl , that tool with the bent end may have been used to scrape out horses hooves . You have found most of that belt now , while i cannot remember where i saw it i have seen an old pic of one of those belts being worn around a ladies waist over a long flowing cotton dress . It looks like yours may have been silver plated . I have found parts of one with some gilt remaining on two sites . I am surprised you have not turned up a silver coin there yet .

1 Like

Thanks Curt. The centre punch is probably for cleaning horses hooves. I did find a horse shoe nearby. A PMAT member sent me a picture of metal ladies belts here:
https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com/articles/gallery/sash-pins-buckles/

I discovered the 1800’s ‘electric belt’ craze while investigating this. It was just snake oil but they were selling belts that were supposed to have miraculous qualities.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-victorian-tool-for-everything-from-hernias-to-sexa-vibrating-electric-belt

2 Likes

Geez, that electric belt sounds like it’s more likely to cause impotence than cure it!

2 Likes

Yep that’s the ladies metal belt .
Ouch !!! that electric noose is scary .

There was an almost unlimited market for fake cures in the 1800’s - early 1900’s.
I found a shop selling electric belts in Hobart but I somehow lost the details online.
These belts are definitely out there in Tasmania. Check this out?

Made in Wynyard and advertised in the Zeehan & Dundas Herald 1904.

2 Likes