A Few Recent Finds

Nah, looks like Karl got it! Mine was squashed flat. I guess that’s why it got thrown away.

2 Likes

You blokes are getting into some good stuff . Karl looks to have the sides from two different flasks there . Being thin brass they are nearly always squashed flat . The upper side of that powder gate is actually the part hidden in the powder flask . The trigger like piece underneath was spring loaded and there was also a spout as well . Most i have found have had the spout missing . My guess is that the spout sometimes became loose and unscrewed to become lost . Then the flask was pretty useless so was tossed . Also many flasks must have been thrown away as smokeless powder and cartridge ammunition overtook the muzzle loaders .

3 Likes

I didn’t manage to find an old brass padlock in my first 2 years detecting but lately they are popping up everywhere!

5 Likes

Could anybody tell me what this is thx in advance

1 Like

Maybe a cufflink if it’s small enough, but a bit of a strange one to be sure.

2 Likes

For a pocket watch maybe ?

the stone is on a pin

1 Like

I thought maybe a lapel pin

1 Like

I reckon your onto it.

3 Likes

A sixpence from the first year of Australian currency in beautiful condition.

10 Likes

Wow, that really is in top condition, well done!

2 Likes

A nice bonus from a pile of garden waste dumped in the bush… I don’t condone it but I will detect it from now on!

8 Likes

Nice !! How did that find it’s way into garden waste i wonder ? Find that garden and detect it .

4 Likes

Must have been dumping trash in the bush to save it from going to landfill :grinning:

Did an experiment with the equinox. Gold comes-up at 3-4 but without much depth. It can discriminate ferrous which is most of the junk found with expensive gold detectors. So would it save time looking for surface gold?

1 Like

Depends what sort of ground you’re looking in. I’ve found ironstone, wet red clay and even tree roots can give a very similar signal to gold. PI detectors seem to handle this mineralized ground way better but in mild ground the equinox with the 6" coil is great, especially if there’s rusty junk around.

3 Likes

Loving the wet ground!

5 Likes

Well done Dave ! Good to see a barrel tap and snake buckle found , both of which have eluded me for a fair while now . Sure is easy digging this time of year .

4 Likes

Yeah the stuff is still out there. Some good finds. I watched a video that recommends taking off the skid plate and hosing and cleaning regularly. Beach and water detecting can get black sands in there. Cheers.

3 Likes

Poor old George!
Not sure why this big old penny was cut like this and didn’t even realise that it was a coin until I was going through my junk pile at home.

3 Likes

I’ve seen coins cut up to use for washers, or as shims, and sometimes ground or cut into shape to use as tools. Maybe this one suffered a similar fate.

3 Likes