CANCELLED - Moina meeting - 30 November - CANCELLED

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, the company that owns the EL around Moina has withdrawn their permission for us to hold a trip there after a recent change of hands of the Lease at Bell Creek. THE TRIP IS CANCELLED.

I will post alternative plants here ASAP.

Miguel

===

Hi everyone, I’m just putting together an invitation to the Moina field trip. If you’re a PMAT member you’ll get an email about it soon.

There is a post about it on the PMAT website, but essentially:

Moina field trip - Bell Creek

The fourth and final PMAT meeting for 2019 will be held at the Lake Gairdner camping ground at 9:00 am on Saturday 30th of November, followed by an opportunity to fossick around Bell Creek and surrounds, outside of the mine lease.

There is no cost for PMAT members, if you’re looking to join, you can do so on the day, and the annual membership fee is $20.

Venue

The Bell Mount and Middlesex (Five Mile Rise) goldfields were most active in the 1890s, and produced a number of sizeable nuggets. Bell Mount produced at least one 20+ ounce nugget, a few around the 16-ounce mark, and many between 1 and 10 ounces. Several nuggets have been found in the area in modern times as well. There will be a chance to detect, and pan, and hopefully enough water in the creek to do some sluicing with a small sluice.

The area we have permission to fossick is the exploration licence area on public land outside of Mining Lease 1M/1986, and outside any private property. I have highlighted it in green. The camping area is at Lake Gairdner, but we may get permission to camp a bit closer. If this is the case I’ll update everyone. Please be aware that the red area is a private mining lease, we do NOT have permission to be there, and the owners do not tolerate trespassers. Ditto for private property blocks around. I will have maps on the day that you can take with you, and will be there a day ahead to flag the edge of the lease. Please keep an eye out and avoid straying into any of these areas.

Getting there

Moina can be accessed from Wilmot via C132, from Sheffield via C136, or from Cradle Mountain, also via C132. Lake Gairdner Road is diagonally opposite the junction of the roads to Sheffield and Wilmot, behind the Cradle Forest Inn. Drive to almost the end of the road, the camping ground is on the lake shore. If you get to a gate, you’ve gone too far. The Google Maps preview below doesn’t seem to work properly, but if you click on the shortcut to the full Google Maps, it will show you the pin at the spot where we will be meeting.

There are a few accommodation options around the Moina - Cradle Mountain area, and camping (no facilities) at Lake Gairdner.

Please keep in mind that Moina and Bell Creek are at fairly high elevation (~600 m a.s.l.) and subject to sharp weather changes year-round. Please bring in appropriate clothing.

If you have any questions, this is the best place to discuss them.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to get signed up this looks like a good day

Please see edited post above: Moina trip has been cancelled after the company that has just purchased the Lease has withdrawn permission for our trip.

Alternative arrangements coming soon.

Thats a shame it would of been a good spot to go, and i booked 4 days off. We will have to go else were.

We’re getting an alternative together. I’ll post details as soon as I have confirmation that we have permission.

M

1 Like