Finding Osmiridium

I’ve been googling Osmiridium but cannot find any pics on the net can anyone help me out so if on the off chance I come across any I don’t throw it out with the rest of the gravel

1 Like

There’s a good photo here:

Imgur

It’s very shiny silver, and does not tarnish. It often comes with chromite and magnetite that can be a shiny, metallic black, but ossie is much heavier in the pan, and silver rather than black (although manganese-coated ossie is not uncommon, and can be black).

There ought to be pannable ossie in the Heazlewood, Roaring Mag Creek and McGinty’s Creek, near Luina, which we can get to on the weekend.

3 Likes

Bright silvery, almost white flecks in the pan, heavy hangs with gold, generally smaller than the gold

1 Like

Here’s a photo of some Ossie that I panned from McGinty’s Ck last time I was there.

4 Likes

Nice chunky pieces!

This is a good spot to try your hand at panning a bit of ossie.

1 Like

Tiny grains of osmiridium from west coast AGM plus a tiny sphere of gold (from old timers smelting perhaps?)
Magnified x10

Although sharing similar densities, the greater hardness means the ossie retains its original granular form, rather than being rounded smooth and flattened as happens with softer gold.

4 Likes

still something i really like to find well done drystone you did well

2 Likes

If you find gold and don’t lose it in your dish you wont lose any ossie. I had a grain in the dish on the Heazlewood and it stayed in the same place in about 10 dishes. You will mistake it for a piece of silver

4 Likes

Is prospecting allowed at adamsfield?

Prospecting is allowed at Adamsfield, but only if you have a permit from Parks to do so. They don’t publicise how to get these permits on purpose, to discourage people from prospecting there.

This is in spite of the Adamsfield Conservation Area having been declared a Conservation Area instead of a National Park expressly to allow fossicking and prospecting to continue in there.

2 Likes

Thanks Miguel you know how to get a permit? what the process is

1 Like

Trust Parks to make things hard , they just don’t want anybody doing anything . Then they will have nothing to do themselves !

1 Like

Hi @Indi, no, I don’t, sorry. I reckon it’s going to be a matter of calling them and persevering. The most likely outcome is they’ll tell you no, because it’s in the World Heritage Area. This is crap, so make sure you don’t just accept that and keep at it till you talk to someone who can actually give you correct info.

The World Heritage Area Management Plan specifically says that fossicking is allowed in Adamsfield, in page 9, then again in page 148.

If you manage to get in touch with someone who can help, we’d love to get details!

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/OT50unIXT7g

1 Like

I spoke to Parks a while back in Nov 2019 about getting access to the gate and I told them I wanted to prospect. I was told that I need to obtain the key to the gate and a $300.00 deposit for the key. I’m now wondering what info I was given. I’ll have to try again soon once I get my self a 4x4 and see if anyone wants to join when that happens.

1 Like

Slot bigger bits than I found on the Hazelwood trip 🤦:joy::joy:

Field trip to adamsfield one Day?

1 Like

Field trip to adamsfield one Day?

Sounds like a good idea - btw, is Moina still going ahead?