Highbanker question

Are highbankers allowed to be used at Wynyard beach? I was told inspectors have turn a blind eye there and who do I contact at MRT to ask questions

1 Like

Email: info@mrt.tas.gov.au

I think they’ll say no to a genuine motorised highbanker, however you can probably feed one using a bucket as long as it complies with the other rules. I’ve done this, it can be a bit awkward, but still faster than panning. I’m curious if mechanical pumps are allowed, they may be a way to circumnavigate the rules, however I’m not sure. This isn’t possible at wynard beach, but the one other way to get some water pressure is a siphon, however only a small percentage of creeks are suitable, and I’m not sure of the legality either.

Basically, emailling them can’t hurt, but I’d personally explore other options

3 Likes

Wynyard Beach or Doctors Rocks, not that it matters, I am just curious as to the gold occurrence at a Wynyard Beach that is not the Doctors Rocks location?

I was talking about doctors rocks

There is gold in quartz nodules on other beaches around Wynyard though.

highbanker can be used with an electrical 12 volt pump, no petrol powered though

1 Like

What anywhere? I’mm under the impression U can’t use any power for highbankers

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry, I use them interchangeably incorrectly. I meant to refer to Doctor’s rocks. I haven’t heard of gold elsewhere in Tasmanian beaches with the exception of cygnet, so the auriferous quartz nodules are interesting.

1 Like

Just what I ‘think’ I know ? First off Matty what inspectors ? I’ve never seen one, BUT my time at Doctors rock is not frequent. No power of any sort can be used to move water motor or battery. I think any ‘inspectors’ are more likely to ignore battery power, as well as others using the beach, people are there for relaxation and probably don’t want to listen to a petrol motor. My own experience is that I have used a mini battery powered dredge at Doctors rocks and because most people could pan far more material than I was dredging, I got no objections. I wasn’t looking for an advantage, just saving my back and getting wet. On reflection I’m not sure if I would do it again just in case someone objected, your call Matty. I always have a current prospecting license, so should others. Speaking for myself I wouldn’t object to others using a high banker battery powered or otherwise, but that’s just me. As long as it’s only being used to process gravel in the stream and not eroding the bank, I can’t see the harm. Unfortunately rules are made for the least common denominator, these people ruin it for the rest of us. Common sense should prevail, and I’m pretty sure we are all willing to ‘bend’ the rules, before the herumphers respond, think about the last time you asked for permission to prospect on an E.L.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, last time I was at doctors rocks a guy told me there inspectors weren’t concerned about highbankers There they just wanted people to have a licence. I emailed MRT they said no powered highbankers anywhere. I want to buy a highbanker an see how it goes using a bucket.

1 Like

Good luck with it Matty, a cheaper and more versatile alternative would be a stream sluice, it is legal to use them if you ever go to a flowing creek/river. The only rule MRT put on that is that it should be easily carried and there may be a length restriction. This just goes to show how silly rules can be, obviously made up by the desk jockeys on muffin monday. One of my sniping partners is a champion body builder and could easily carry a 50kg sluice, I’m 69 and would struggle to pick it up ! If you are only processing gravel then a stream sluice is just as efficient as a highbanker. Highbankers are designed to breakup clods/clay in the first section with jets of water, something that is not possible with a bucket.

3 Likes