Mine site relics

Worked an old mine site for a total of 13 hours over two days last week . Hard going in heavy bracken . I thought it may have given up a few more good finds than these , but hey , that’s detecting .

8 Likes

Can’t complain about that, the shilling is a beauty and there’s a couple of other interesting bits and pieces there. What’s the tubey thing on the bottom left? Looks like silver

1 Like

Thanks Dave , the tube is silver . It has solid wood through it . The only thing i can think off would be a conductors baton ? I like the cufflink too . I have looked everywhere for the cricket buckle body without result .

1 Like

I wonder when they stopped wearing cuff links at mine sites? I would put money down that it’s not a conductors baton. The 1800’s prospectors must have lived in world we don’t understand.
Nice finds Curt and good luck on the next trip.

2 Likes

If it was in WA I’d say it was definitely an upper class fly swatter! Maybe a stick to hold those old glasses and monocles???

3 Likes

Maybe a cigarette holder or cigar older or part of a fancy pipe

1 Like

Of course they didn’t wear cuff links at old mine sites - they were camped close by with all their worldly possessions.

1 Like

I did suspect a pipe stem at first , but with no hole through the wood ? The silver tube is quite thick , no hallmarks . Looking at old photo’s of miners shows that dress was much more formal in those days . Even when working they often wore vests and waist coats . They still had their finest in their huts and i have found many cuff links at old hut sites .

2 Likes

I recon its the end piece of an 1800’s driving whip.
Here is a similar one.

They used holly wood because it’s straight and tapered. There are still holly trees growing here. An antique carriage builder told me about holly trees.

2 Likes

The shilling is nice. The date is so clear.

The silver covered tubing is the handle from a magnifying glass. These were often sued by prospectors as the small magnifying loupes we currently use were not prevalent at this time

4 Likes

Mystery Solved !

Yesterday i was looking at the silver tube when i noticed the wood inside had dried out and shrunk . When i pushed out the wood it split into two halves revealing a square pencil lead in the centre . This was a fancy pencil , maybe they were cashed up !

4 Likes

Case closed. I guess they slid new pencils into it. My guess would have been bigger so I should have compared to the cuff links. Keep on diggin :pick:

2 Likes

Thanks Karl , i have been informed that it is known as a clutch pencil .

1 Like