Need opinions on a cheap gold detector

Hi all just asking for some advice dose anyone own a gold monster 1000? What they like to use hear in Tassie on the gold? Or would you run with a equinox 800? Only got $1300 to spend. I have a minelab vanquish 440 love it for beach and in the field for coins and stuff but looking for a cheap gold machine

1 Like

Looking forward to see what people say for this one. I haven’t used either, but I’ve seen both in use and their owners seem to like them. I’d say the Gold Monster probably better if gold is what you’re chasing, the Equinox seems more of an all-purpose machine and a killer on coins & relics.

2 Likes

I agree with Miguel.
John Cotton swears by his monster & he has a Minelab SDC 2300 as well as the more expensive one for deeper targets.

2 Likes

Thanks guys still thinking i do love chasing coins an stuff that is the bulk of my detecting but would love a gold machine for ower club meets so maybe lean towards the nox but i think the nox only good on the bigger gold will have to watch more YouTube reviews on both😁

1 Like

I haven’t used a gold monster but my equinox 800 is a bit of a pain in the butt in gold mode. I’ve found tiny bits of gold with it but I’ve found heaps more tree roots, ironstone pebbles and black slate. They all give a signal very similar to small gold. It’s great for relics but can’t handle mineralized ground in gold mode in my opinion. Some of the older minelab PI machines like the SD2100 or GP3500 might be in your price range and would be better for larger deep gold but the monster seems to be the best for small shallow gold around at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks for that dhawley I will look in to the other machine as well cheers

Hi, I my self have had 705 and now own a GM1000, brought it as it seemed to be a favourite machine by a lot of users. Still have to give it a good run in though but still recommend one. Anaconda has them on special for $959 here is the link if you’d like.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/lighting-electronics/metal-detectors/minelab-gold-monster-1000-gold-detector/BP90115121

1 Like

Cheers stozki just seen that on there pages like 2 min ago :rofl::rofl: thank you do you find it easy to use mate

I’ve got monster, I think it works fairly well, unbelievably sensitive, I’ve use it more to help find areas which may have alluvial gold.
Have a look at Youtube with Vogus prospecting and busted knuckles & many more it shows you how to use them.
Had mine out today in up the Weld Valley (Southern Tas) ran it over an exposed road cutting wall got very weak signal around a different coloured fault, took a bucket of Material out of it and panned it out down at the river, 4 small specks of gold and some unidentified heavy’s, very happy.
Not really good for coin/relic hunting.

2 Likes

Thank you Jonesy will look them up tomorrow nice work mate works well on the fine stuff then. Had my vanquish out on the beach this morning only to find bloody beer cans and a car door lock​:man_facepalming::rofl:

I don’t think they are easy to learn to use compared to contemporary relic / coin machines ( the monster is the only metal-detector I’ve owned. ) really designed to find the tiniest amount metal floating around and if there is any small metal rubbish about … you’ll find it.
Beer cans and other stuff are easy as hell to work out as it will go keen off if you find somthing like that… its the Aluminum foil the smaller than the size of a match head that will frustrate you.

1 Like

That is what I hear not an easy machine to work out plus only new to detecting myself. Thinking the equinox 800 now because my 7 year old daughter wants a detector now she is to tall for the kids ones so might let her go with my vanquish as it shortened to her hight.then get her hooked like dad haha

I would recommend you have a look on Minelabs website before making a decision . Jonathan Porter has a very interesting article on there about using the Nox 800 fitted with the 6 inch coil for gold . Looks like he was surprised at how well it went on ground he had already used other machines on .

1 Like

Thank you still leaning to the nox now just watched it cheers

By far the easiest yet.

1 Like

Which way did you end up going @Slydog83?

1 Like

Went with the Equinox 800 mate absolutely love it. Have not had a go for gold with it yet but will do at the club meet at the Back Creek. Smashing the coins on the beach

3 Likes

I was in the same position myself a while back trying to choose between the 800 and the monster and ended going with the monster as it seems idiot proof​:joy: being my first detector I figured I’d need something very simple to use and this seems to be exactly what I was after. Hopefully I’ll get to the Back Creek meeting and get to try it out for the first time :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thats why i went the nox you can just turn on and go but once you get the idea of the machine you can start stuffing around with the settings . Im not at that level yet still working her out🤣

2 Likes

I have the 800 myself… love it :+1:

2 Likes