New to Tassie Prospecting

Hi, we are hoping to head to Tasmania in February, if we are allowed. We will probably be there a couple of months and would love to do a bit of detecting. We have never done any detecting in Tasmania despite having visited 3 times for a total of 5 months, as you may guess, we just love the place.
We are hoping to make contact with some locals who know the area and detect themselves. I have read a little about the NE country and your upcoming field trip near Back Creek and I like the look of the country there. As we are now getting on a bit, 76 now we, are looking for some easier country than that around White River near Corinna area.
Thank you, Jim Foster

1 Like

G’day mate, are you the gold nugget jewelry man?
There’s not much easy walking ground anywhere in Tassie but the North and Northeast is definitely easier going than the West.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yep I’m the Nugget Jewellery man. Do you need a copy?
I had a look at Back Creek on Google Earth and it looks a lot like some of the Victorian diggings. Do you know the bloke who owns the lease? I have no problem detecting on his lease and showing him where w found any gold. We did that for years with St Barbara mines in WA around Leonora. It worked well for everyone.
Cheers, Jim

2 Likes

G’Day Jim
Contact me on ron.gregory@bigpond.com regarding Back Ck when you arrive in Tassy.

Regards
Ron

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have enough nuggets in my collection to start a jewellery making operation yet Jim. I’m a beginner to gold detecting, been mostly targeting coins and relics but I love the articles you have written in GG&T and would be happy to show you around some of our local area if you get over here for a holiday. I’m based in beaconsfield at the moment but with a bit of luck should have our place built at lefroy by February. Most of the alluvial areas around here are quite small compared to Victoria and many are on private property or covered by mining leases so a bit of research is required. It’s worth it for the beautiful scenery, environment and lack of flies!

Thanks, Ron, I’ll do that but we wont be there until February.

Cheers, Jim

1 Like

Hi David, we love the magnificent Tassie scenery. Having spent months there we have probably seen most of the state but as it’s about 5 years since we were there we are ready to return and search out those places we missed before.
This time we thought it would be good to see if we can score a couple of little bits of Tassie gold. We have two SDC2300’s so our chances are quite good, I hope.
The northern fields look the best to us. Getting on a bit now but still quite fit for our ages. We are already looking forward to getting over there, hopefully that damn virus won’t be a problem for us getting there.
Cheers, Jim

1 Like