Powered sluices and highbankers

I wondering if anyone can shed some light on if we can use powered pumps, electrical or petrol. To run sluices etc out in the feild. Have seen many doing it. But have got mixed answers :man_shrugging: thanks in advancd

2 Likes

Sadly high bankers (including powered sluices) are illegal in Tassie both electric and petrol. MRT states this in the 6th condition of a prospecting license: “The use of dredges, suction dredges, trommels and motorised pumps is prohibited. If in doubt, check with MRT prior to their use.”. The fourth point also states that only hand held tools may be used.

This is just another way that Tassie is way behind the rest of Australia in terms of prospecting rules. :disappointed:

As for those who are doing it illegally; shame on them.

I’m not sure on private property thought, that may be different???

1 Like

Oh woops, point 7 (of a prospecting license) is even more specific “Hand-held and un-powered sluices and high-bankers which are less than 1m in length and can be easily carried in the field by an average person, may be used. The use of motor and/or battery powered assistance is not permitted.”

1 Like

Officially it’s a no-no. As far as MRT are concerned, they are not allowed to be used under a prospecting licence, and that’s all there is to it.

Anecdotally, have you ever done any good with a highbanker?

I personally find them unnecessary. The best gold is in places that you can’t easily walk a highbanker into.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification guys, just as I thought a big no no. :+1:t4: much appreciated

1 Like

If you want to feed a high banker with a bucket feed system, you would be OK but I cant think of many situations you would do that, maybe if you have a slow creek and cant sluice.

1 Like