Smokey Quartz Gladstone

Found this a few years back, had 2 more like it that I’ve given to the kids, but was thinking should cut up alright for a ring or two

5 Likes

I love a good smokey! They really look super good when cut, especially the lighter material. I actually just finished cutting this one myself last week. A ringarooma river smokey. I think it came up really well.

6 Likes

Well that is looking awesome, might have a job for you.

1 Like

If you do any sapphiring in the NE, there are sometimes smoky crystals in the creek with tourmaline or rutile needles in them. I’ve seem some absolute stunners cut from them, with the inclusions reflecting in all the facets.

4 Likes

Do you have a picture??

1 Like

No, unfortunately. I don’t facet myself, and most of these I saw in the days before smart phones.

1 Like

Had a hunt on the internet, was able to find a few very impressive…

1 Like

There I knew I had a bit somewhere in a jar, typical black rutile needle inclusions. I have found a few over the years.
I haven’t done any paid cutting work yet, though I might do in future. I would have to ask other cutters what they charge.

4 Likes

Please do, would be interested in a price.

1 Like

Just a thought: are they rutile or tourmaline needles? Both cool!
I am getting to spend a bit of time in the NE creeks after work these days: trying to understand what minerals are where…
Could take some time!
But, a fun mission nevertheless.
Some nice topaz so far

1 Like