Styx river gold and osi?

Last weekend got a couple of nice pans in the Styx might have to go back soon.

9 Likes

I have that place on my list to check, But I’ve seen there are gates to get there?

1 Like

LOL I’m not going to give away the spot , but it was no where near the MRT map marked gold area and not gated… and in a legal prospecting zone, surprised the shit out of me as i didn’t think anything would be there.
A couple of mates went fishing and I broke out the pans and pump and went crevicing on a rock bench above the river, maybe 2 full pans in total (probably worked 8 x 1/4 pans ) we were there only for about an hour mucking about.

5 Likes

Looks like quite a bit more gold than ossie. Interesting.

There are bank receipts for some Maydena locals selling a few ounces of gold at a time in the 1930s and 1940s, and no mention of osmiridium. I always wondered whether they came from Adamsfield (separated from the ossie) or the Styx River / 14-mile Creek area.

5 Likes

Could be one to put on the list for a visit, PMAT trip.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it is osmiridium. ?, the coarse silver spec’s were sitting high in the pan with the gold, they must be heavy.

2 Likes

Yeah, almost certainly osmiridium. It’s usually chunky and much more angular than gold, or in little hexagonal flakes.

3 Likes

I just read an article on thediggings.com about the Styx River gold prospect and it mentions the ore there being chromite, is it possible that’s what’s in with the gold?
Styx River Gold Prospect In Tasmania, Australia | The Diggings™

3 Likes

There is almost always chromite with ossie as they are both shed from the same serpentine rocks. It also has a metallic sheen to it, but no, chromite is usually black and in the shape of double pyramids.

I’m almost completely certain that the silvery flecks are ossie.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty confident the black is Chromite too, I’ve found that material in a number of southern and western parts of Tassie and some experienced people have confirmed this.

I think I’ve had the Osi before, though I haven’t had it either formally or informally identified, I’ve kept it in a separate vial from my gold.

2 Likes

yes the silver grey bits is osmiridium and it seems quite course so a very nice spot

2 Likes

Return trip…

4 Likes

Nice picker! That’s detectable size I reckon.

2 Likes

Yeah very very happy, personal best, roughly 11mm long… for southern Tassie I’m calling it a Nugget :laughing:.
Came in on what was ment to be the last pan of the day…

3 Likes

Not as much Ossie this time.

2 Likes