2024 AGM and field trip to Back Creek

Hi everyone,

Ron Gregory has kindly invited us to host our AGM on his lease in Back Creek, on Saturday the 10th of February 2024. Our AGM will begin at 9:00, followed by a Special General Meeting, and day of fossicking. Memberships are due at the start of the year, so this is your best chance to make yourself current. Please mind that there is very little phone reception at Back Creek, so it will be cash only.

If you would like to volunteer for the committee, please get in touch with someone, preferably before the weekend.

The Special General Meeting after the AGM will vote on changes to our membership fee and club patronage. There will be another email shortly with details of proposed changes.

Back Creek contains shallow historical workings and is a good location for detecting small nuggets, and a few nuggets and specimens have been found in recent times, up to close to an ounce. PMAT has been there a few times, and every time people have detected gold. There is also a large pond for panning, or in case you want to bring your highbanker.

In addition to the AGM, we will have some merchandise, a raffle, and bags of wash for sale.

The main meeting place will be the historic shacks on Ringswandls Road (off Back Creek Rd).

The area has a lot of historical mining works, including open-cuts, pits, trenches and shafts. If you’ll be joining us. Please be aware of where you step and understand that you enter at your own risk.

Getting there

600x251

Most of you probably know how to get to the lease. For those of you who don’t, the lease is on Back Creek Road, which starts behind the Pipers River shop (on Bridport Road). We will meet at the area of 1930s shacks on Ringsgwandls Rd 6.

In the map above, this is where the road crosses a creek marked ‘Spring Creek’, just to the NW of a pond.

Camping

Ron has invited members who want to camp at the lease on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights (Monday is a holiday in the South). A couple of things to keep in mind:

• No arrivals before 1:00 pm on Friday unless by prior arrangement with Ron
  • No-one to remain on site past 1:00 pm on Monday unless by prior arrangement with Ron
  • There is no potable water on site, so please bring your own
  • There is now a flushing toilet, a shower, and water for washing (non-potable)

Important points

As we’ll be working inside a current mining lease, there are some conditions to attending, please read these carefully:

• All attendees will need to fill in a sign-in sheet on arrival, and sign out at the end of the trip.
  • All attendees will have to complete an indemnity form on arrival, acknowledging the risks of accessing an area of current and historical mining works, and absolving the leaseholders of liability
  • All gold found is to be reported to Ron, no matter the size. Please abide by this condition, it is critical if we want to be allowed back. Ron will explain the detail on the day.
  • Any gold found can pe purchased from Ron at 80% of spot price (currently ~$100 per gram, so at $80 per gram). This includes quartz in specimens.
  • There will be no access to excavator pits at any time, for any reason, except during supervised events at Ron’s discretion.
  • The area contains abundant mining heritage. Please be respectful of this and of any lease property.
  • Any areas of current workings are off-limits. There will be some areas taped off. Please respect these when on site.

See you all there!!!

5 Likes

Look forward to seeing everyone there cheers :+1:

3 Likes

Last year was a blast! Found my first ever piece (0.06g). Learnt heaps from a great bunch of helpful, friendly people. Looking forward to this year.

2 Likes

Fantastic, really looking forward to meeting everyone and learning about Gold prospecting.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,same as last year PMAT will have a raffle ,so anyone got something to donate to the raffle would be great, it all goes back into the club,will have t shirts ,caps ,stubbie holders, jackets there to sell aswell

5 Likes

Would you have a price list for these items please so that correct money can be brought with me?

1 Like

Just bring heaps of cash

7 Likes

None of this cashless shit going on down at good old back creek.

6 Likes

For the newbies at metal detecting,we will have pads there to detect on an find GOLD plus every bit of steel that has come of machinery called SWARFT ,so a strong magnet is needed a PLASTIC trowel a pick You will be useing a metal detector so it picks up steel cap boots phones sunnys keys watches rings etc etc etc , we will supply the detector to use like an sdc or 6000 ,find a pcs of gold then move on out into the field to find a welcome stranger nugget​:grin::grin: a container to put your gold in be handy as well ,a sense of humour is a must ,an remember gold fevor is a real thing,its a great weekend for everyone an to meet like minded people

6 Likes

I will come up for the day, won’t be there early enough for the meetings, but I would like to meet up with Ron to have a talk about the in’s and out’s of EL’s etc.

3 Likes

Hey all . really looking forward to catching up
with everyone ! Big thks to RGP for allowing us back on the lease.
There will be a Highbanker set up on the wash
at the pond . it is for use by any Club Members
and if you have kids with you please get them involved but a reminder the area is a wet area and Gumboots are a good idea ! especially for the kids ! We shall also have a Token Hunt again with ALL PRIZES being GOLD . Good luck in finding a Token. ONE TOKEN per person only to give everyone a chance !!. i will also be offering my GPX 5000 to the highest bidder on both days
with full tuition ! proceeds if any donated to Pmat. See me there for info.
See You There. Colin.

7 Likes

Good on you mate the kids will love it cheers

3 Likes

Hi all,please be aware that there is camera’s installed at bk ck an have been for a while,the surrounding leases also have camera’s set up ,it reflects poorly on pmat an ron if you go on these leases with out premission,especially on that weekend,if we all do the right thing this event will keep happing,back ck is part of Ron’s lively hood now days,so all gold finds are to be reported an weighed in, an all gold is the property of rons ,which can be brought for $80 a gram,ron has over the last several years ,gave away $20000 ,!!! of gold an this event wouldn’t happen without rons generosity ,so please do the right thing,IF YOU DON’T LIKE ANY OF THESE RULES PLEASE DON’T ATTEND

7 Likes

Hands up for the committee,don’t be frighten ,we could have a first female president an beat Hilary :blush::blush:,so the club needs,President,vice president,secretary treasurer , an commitee members , some fresh new blood would be great don’t be frighten

5 Likes

Hi mate
I sent A G a message the other day saying that I would like to be a committee member this year
Cheers

4 Likes

That’s great to see:
this club has steadily been going from strength to strength over the years and it will continue if people put their hand up :grinning:

I have passed your nomination to the committee :+1:
cheers

4 Likes

How much is membership and how do I join? Will bring the right amount of Banana Republic Pesos on the day.

It’s usually 20 pesos

Cheers Matty - that’s the iron ore coloured one isn’t it?

1 Like

Just a reminder…arrival 1pm on the fri an everyone vacated on the mon by 1pm thks, prospecting is STRICTLY between 7.30am an 5 pm not abiding by this rule u will be asked to leave

3 Likes