In The Charcoal At Lefroy

Have been working the burn at Lefroy . First day there was like a mini PMAT day and i met some other people late in the day who after a chat said they would like to join , so hopefully more members .
Was very pleased to pick up an 1807 George 111 large Halfpenny , and the Pope Pius 1869 medallion .

5 Likes

Mate, that is haul!
Lots of goodies there: a nice snapshot into history. 1809 George 111 is a cracker, well done (he said with a green tinge!)

1 Like

well done love the half penny was up there on monday and got this buckle not sure if its tennis or another form of cricket

4 Likes

Awesome to see the finds trickling out.

With the burn now happening at Mathinna, we’ll be spoiled for choice. I feel torn, between the worry of a bad summer of fire to come and wondering whether more good ground will be uncovered.

2 Likes

That’s a ripper Indi ! I think it’s tennis or lacrosse . From memory one of the members of the AMDRH forum found one like that about 3 years ago on the big island . It would also be worth a look online at the ‘Australian Cricket Buckle Book’ as it has other sorts of buckles as well , yours may be there . Congrats .

2 Likes

Agree Miguel , it’s the silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud . Best these fires happen now though as they will be much worse post Xmas .

1 Like

Another day and some more finds , including my favorite type of find , a cricket buckle . Also 1848 large penny and some nice silver .

3 Likes

Wow, that 1928 Florin is in great nick!

1 Like

Detected a nice speci with my SDC right on the surface. It gave a fairly strong inverted signal, but due to a black glaze over the surface, no gold was visible. Ran the magnet over it and not magnetic, so it had to be gold. Stuck it in my pocket & gave it a rub & wash back at the vehicle later. A couple of tiny points of gold appeared - you beauty!!
Back at home, how to get this crap off the surface. Thought a dip in some bleach might do the trick - and after a half hour soak in White King, it came out fairly clean. Will do an SG test to work out the Au content when I have time

3 Likes

Tried to post a pic of my speci but think it failed. Here goes another attempt

10 Likes

Nice one! Looks like edge-of-the-reef material.

Interesting to see what happens to the Mathinna fire today. Hopefully it doesn’t take a run all the way to Fingal.

1 Like

Nice one Howard ! I bet you looked very hard for more in that spot . Hope there is a big chunk hiding inside that quartz .

1 Like

Nice finds curt. Looks like another old stamp. I see a musketball by the look of it. Nice beltbuckle. Its very hard to find old copper/bronze pennys in good condition anywhere. I wonder what the long tuning peg thing was?

1 Like

Thanks Karl , yep there is a .32 cal pistol ball and .70 cal musket ball there . Also a 1 ounce .54 cal bullet . The brass peg is complete and appears to be a drop in type pin , no idea what for though .

rps20191124_104158
Pulled my oldest silver coin out of some old diggings in the charcoal this weekend, hope the old timer who lost it found enough gold to cover his loss!

5 Likes

love that shilling we should go out again soon

That’s ripper coin Dave , there’s not many found that old . Congrats

Another good day’s finds .

Cartwheel penny top right was a surprise . More holed half penny’s ! And the Chinese dropped in .

some silver and another Tasmania police button

4 Likes

Awesome finds!

I haven’t found that many 19th-Century coins myself.

More bits including a goldfields ring and brooch .

3 Likes