In The Charcoal At Lefroy

Last week i had a great hunt thanks to an invite from two of our members , Dave and Karl . Thanks a heap you blokes , wouldn’t have happened otherwise . Sovereign , coin brooch , Chinese coins , token … still can hardly believe it !

5 Likes

It was a great day and that sovereign was an incredible find. The last year of the ‘young head’ Queen Victoria with a Melbourne mint mark.
http://www.cruzis-coins.com/sovs/1876m.html
Is it experience, luck, persistence or all of them?

2 Likes

Well, it’s no gold sovereign, but I was pretty happy with this Victoria diamond jubilee medallion.

And a few other bits and pieces

2 Likes

very nice Dave which town is it

The old saying comes to mind Karl , " arse beats class "

1 Like

That’s good results Dave . The item above the locket/pendant looks very interesting , is it a brooch ?

Lefroy area again Indi. Reckon it’s a pendant or locket too. Had a little loop on the top that fell off when I cleaned it. May have had another half hinged on the back originally and was gilt.

Great Work Kurt. i went past there last Thu and spotted someone on the burnt hill close
to the Bridport rd detecting , was that you ? brought an equinox 600 for playing around, having fun on the beaches sorting out the best settings etc. got a 1874 halfpenny from lefroy area when visiting with Howard. but was using the 5000 gpx . looking forward to detecting some old gold areas with the Nox , if your looking for company sometime pm me . maybe have a sniff around Mathina area ? anyway congrats on the sovereign as well as the other artifacts .

2 Likes

Nah wasn’t me as i was still to knackered from the Wednesday hunt ! The specimen hill area has really had a flogging since the fire with multiple groups there at the same time some days . Would be keen for a look at Mathinna but cannot see me getting free time until Jan .

The diamond jubilee was 1897. Nice find.

I recon you finished 2019 on a high. The charcoal that kept giving.

1 Like

mystery object from today embossed for best results keep clean and oiled and made from brass was thinking part of percussion cap mechanism

2 Likes

You mean like a flint-lock?
Looks interesting, but I think the embossed writing looks too modern for that.

percussion was after flintlock basically 1830-60s but been suggested its a cap gun

1 Like

I remember them as a kid. The roll of caps would fit on the post and thread around feeding below the hammer. The neighbors must of hated them :fireworks:

2 Likes

Funky little silver pocket watch chain. Be nice to get a bit of rain because the ground up there is like one big brick! Off to the beach to see what the tourists have dropped till then.

4 Likes

Nice ! Looks oriental

1 Like

Thanks, there were lots of Chinese in the area during the gold rush and that would explain why there’s no hallmarks on it.

2 Likes

That’s an outstanding find Dave ! Worth doing some research , if it’s Chinese then it beats the hell out of finding the usual crusty coins . Congrats .

1 Like

Looks like a fairly common design for Victorian Era pocket watch chains. Still might be able restore it to something like it used to be.

2 Likes