In The Charcoal At Lefroy

Maybe a common design Dave , but certainly not a common find ! Haab jewelers in Lonnie have done resto work for me , and at reasonable prices .

1 Like

Some more coins on Wednesday along with rain , strong wind and falling branches ! A nice early Groat made my day .

3 Likes

Niiiice! A groat is still on my bucket list. Hopefully we get enough rain to soften the ground up a bit cos my poor old elbows give out after half a dozen holes at the moment.

2 Likes

Nice silver curt. Even the penny is in good condition, much better than anything found in a farm field. Good to see you are still on the money :grinning:

2 Likes

Some of my finds from the charred ground at Lefroy.

4 Likes

Some of my more interesting recent finds at Lefroy.Large button has Tasmanian defence force inscribed, copper nails were used for sluice boxes as they didn’t rust, teaspoon is solid silver and item lower right I believe to be end off a ramrod from a muzzle loading gun - thanks Curt.

6 Likes

Some beauty’s there Howard . That Florin is a late one for Lefroy . The Tas Defence force was a militia force based in Launceston and Hobart , from what i have read they were in operation from 1870 to the 1880’s . A very cool button to find . The jeweler from Launceston on that pocket watch top is a new one to me . And the coin beside it , is it a Farthing ? I have never found one , they are like Rising sun badges for me ! The small silver coin looks unusual , would like to see some close up shots of both sides .

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback Curt. I was stoked to find the Tas Defence Force button 6 inches down on an old house site. The farthing was my first in 43 years of detecting. The date is almost unreadable but at a certain angle in the right light appears to be possibly 1876. The small " coin " is actually a brass button celebrating Queen Victoria’s 50th jubilee in 1887. The head and lettering are incuse.
Cheers, Howard.

5 Likes

Great work getting the Farthing . 43 years eh ! That Jubilee button is a special find . Congrats .

2 Likes

Still managing to winkle to odd find out of the charcoal , takes some hours though !

The George 111 Shilling is worn very thin .

4 Likes

Good to see there’s a few interesting bits and pieces still out there. Is that a lead seal in the middle?

1 Like

Yeah mate , says half lb in the middle , cannot read the small print around the outside . Have found 3 or 4 of these in the last year , the others were all 4 lb . I wonder if mines bagged high grade ore , stencilled it and sent it to a stamper ? Still working specimen hill , some big fresh snake skins there too .

some big fresh snake skins there too .

I recon these would give you some peace of mind.

1 Like

One of the reasons i always wear my high top Muck boots while detecting is for snake protection . The other reason is there is no metal in them so no interference with the detector . Our snakes here are usually low strikers , unlike the King Browns and Taipans on the big island that will strike as high as your face . But i do know two people here that have had high bites , one on the forearm , the other on the bum !

Still coming up with the goods Curt!
George III is a good find despite condition :grin:
Keep well

1 Like

Good work Curt! Specimen Hill has been flogged relentlessly both before and after the fire. Just goes to show that perseverance pays off.
The brass rectangular object in the top left of your first photo sparked my interest - reckon it could be a gold weight. Here’s an example of one with a few coins found around Exeter.

4 Likes

Thanks Howard , yep it is a gold weight . Have found a few different ones around Lefroy over the years . No markings on this one but is probably something like a pennyweight . I have my grandfathers complete gold scales , will have to get them out and compare the weights .

Here’s some gold scale weights from Lefroy , they are a very satisfying find for me . They lead me to day dreaming about piles of gold the old timers may have weighed with them .

And here is my grandfathers scales passed down to me . I don’t know for sure but maybe they have been passed down from his grandfather who was a well known name in Lisle from the 1870’s .

5 Likes

Very cool Curt. I read most of the crushing was done by the Native Youth battery. The fact they were weighing gold in the field means they were refining it locally. That could explain some of the other objects dug up.

2 Likes

A few more bits from the burn . My favourite is the button .

4 Likes